17th International Television Contest for Young Musicians 'The Nutcracker' will take place in Moscow from 29 November to 6 December 2016.
The ‘Nutcracker’ Contest is one of the most cherished projects of the RUSSIA-KULTURA Television Channel. Each year the contest discovers new and exciting talents from all over the world and provides young performers with opportunity to showcase their skills on a professional level, as well as exchange experiential knowledge and receive the judgement of eminent professionals.
The ‘Nutcracker’ has earned the reputation as one of the most prestigious music contests for children in Russia. It enjoys close attention of a wide and diverse audience, from professionals to classical music enthusiasts.
The contestants perform in front of many millions of viewers, as the auditions are both televised and streamed live on the channel’s website. This means that the participation in ‘Nutcracker’ is an inspiring opportunity for young performers to step into spotlight. Besides, finalists are honoured to perform at one of the most prestigious Moscow venues – the Tchaikovsky Concert Hall – with a symphony orchestra accompaniment.
The Contest is held in three disciplines:
- Stringed Instruments (violin, cello, harp, double-bass),
- Winds (except recorder) & Percussion Instruments.
To participation are invited young musicians, who are under 14 (for piano, string instruments and percussion) or 15 (for wind instruments) on 30 November 2016.
No minimum age requirements.
To participate in the Contest, please, fill in the application form and enclose the following documentation:
- biography as a text file (MS Word compatible file) with information about participation in other contests (exact name, year, venue and the result), hobbies and most interesting events in the contestant’s life; no more than 1000 symbols including spaces;
- performance program (MS Word compatible file) including full names of the authors, exact titles of the pieces, opuses' numbers, parts' numbers and duration of each work (for more information see Performance Program);
- 1 photo as a graphic file (high resolution, suitable for printing; file name shall contain the Contestant’s name and surname);
- scanned copy of the Contestant’s birth certificate or passport as a graphic file.
- direct links to recordings of the Contestant’s performances (on Youtube, Rutube, etc.). The recordings shall be provided as separate videos. Each video shall contain the Contestant’s name and surname and the name of the composition performed.
The complete package of documents shall be received by the Organization Committee no later than on October 15, 2016.
The Opening Ceremony of the 17th International Television Contest for Young Musicians 'Nutcracker' (29 November 2016) and the Final Round (6 December 2016) will take place at the Tchaikovsky Concert Hall under the accompaniment of the Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra (artistic director and chief conductor — Yuri Simonov). Conductor – Ayyub Guliyev.
Rounds I and II will be held at the the Central Music School at the P.I. Tchaikovsky Conservatory on 30 November and 1 December 2016.
The International Television Contest for Young Musicians 'Nutcracker' was founded in 2000 by the RUSSIA-KULTURA Television Channel and has been held annually ever since. The 'Nutcracker' is currently the only children's classical music contest in Russia that is television broadcast.
On April 25, 2016 the International Television Contest for Young Musicians 'The Nutcracker' became a member of the European Union of Music Competitions for Youth (EMCY).
In each nomination the prizes of the Contest are Gold, Silver and Bronze Nutcrackers – the figurines created by the world-famous artist Mikhail Chemyakin. The Audience Award is given according to the results of SMS-vote.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
In 2015 the Contest has acquired the International Board of Trustees that consists of famous musicians, cultural professionals and patrons of art: Evelyn Glennie, Denis Matsuev, Irina Nikitina-Häfliger, Paloma O’Shea, Vladimir Spivakov, Markus Hinterhäuser, Aleksey Shalashov, Mihail Shemyakin, Gennady Yavnik.
Address of the Organization Committee:
Russia Kultura TV Channel
Music Department, International Television Contest for Young Musicians 'The Nutcracker'
Malaya Nikitskaya Str., 24
123995, Moscow, Russia
Tel: +7(495) 780 56 61
Tel/fax: +7(495) 780 56 80
Official website: www.nutcracker.tv