01.03.2010 | 00:00
Nutcracker International Television Contest for Young Musicians
Regulations of the 13th Nutcracker International Television Contest for Young Musicians
1 - 8 November, 2012
Section 1. Core Elements
The Nutcracker International Television Contest for Young Musicians (hereinafter referred to as the “Contest”) is organized by VGTRK and Kultura TV Channel.
The mission of the Contest is to attract the public attention to the children’s music education, to find young gifted musicians able to continue the best performing traditions in the 21st century and to provide them with various opportunities for their artistic potential realization:
• entering the best music schools;
• collaboration with leading orchestras and conductors;
• participation in different concerts and festivals.
The 13th Nutcracker International Television Contest for Young Musicians shall be held on 1 - 8 November, 2012.
The Contest is limited to solo performance of classical music in the following fields:
• Strings (violin, cello, harp);
• Winds (except for block flute) and percussions.
The Contest consists of a preliminary Round (based on video recordings) and three public Rounds.
During the I and the II Rounds each contestant shall perform solo or with accompanist. In the III Round contestants shall perform with orchestra.
The running order shall be determined by lot before the I Round and shall be adhered to the whole Contest.
The Organizing Committee reserves the right to change the running order in the III Round and in its television version.
The Opening Ceremony shall take place with the Symphony Orchestra on 1 November 2011 at the Tchaikovsky Concert Hall.
The I and the II Rounds shall take place at the Concert Hall of the Central Music School of Moscow Tchaikovsky State Conservatory. I and II Contest Rounds shall be recorded by Kultura TV Channel.
The III Round shall take place with the Moscow State Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra on 8 November 2012 at the Tchaikovsky Concert Hall and will be broadcasted live.
All finalists shall get 2 - 4 complimentary tickets to the III Round.
Section 2. Contestants
The Contest is open to young musicians – pianists, string performers and percussion performers under 14 years, and winds performers – under 15 years.
The contestants (48 people, 16 in each category) shall be chosen by the Selection Committee after considering the received recordings.
The Selection Committee composed of professional musicians shall evaluate submitted recordings by awarding points out of ten.
Notices to the contestants shall be sent after September 20, 2012. Each admitted applicant shall get an invitation with the arrival date and accommodation information.
In case of inability to take part in the competition, the contestant shall be replaced by an applicant who outpointed in his category.
16 contestants in each category shall be admitted to the I Round.
8 contestants in each category shall be admitted to the II Round.
3 contestants in each category shall be admitted to the III Round.
Musicians who have won the first prize in any previous edition of the Contest shall be unable to participate in the Nutcracker 2012 and in any future edition with the same instrument.
Section 3. Application Procedure
To participate in the Contest the following documentation should be provided on 2 CDs:
CD 1. DATA – the cover of the CD has to be signed with the contestants’ name and surname
• application form which is available at the Kultura TV Channel website www.tvkultura.ru or at the Nutcracker Competition website www.nutcracker.tv (get the .doc file>>) ;
• biography as a text file (MS WORD format) which should contain the information about participation in other contests (exact name, year, place and the result), hobbies and most interesting events in the contestant’s life;
• photo (color, as a graphic file, high resolution - 300 dpi, printable; the file has to be named with a name and surname of contestant);
• birth certificate’s or passport’s scanned copy;
• performance program (MS WORD file format) which should include full names of the authors, exact titles of the pieces, opuses numbers, parts numbers and length of each work (see Section 4 – Performance Program).
CD 2. VIDEO - the cover of the CD has to be signed with the contestants’ name and surname
• Video recording of the contestant’s performance (a maximum of 20 minutes DVD/video file) which should include works of different epochs, genres and music forms and should be taken during the 2012. The contestant is not obliged to perform the recorded works in the Contest. The contestant should provide the full information about the play (author, title). One of provided plays (3-4 minutes) should be in the public domain as all contestants` videos will be presented at the official site. Recording also has to contain the performance of the piece for the Final Round, mentioned in the contestant’s program. The piece must not exceed 7 minutes.
The complete package of documents should be received by the Organizing Committee of the Contest by August, 20, 2012.
The delivered materials shall not be returned.
Any applicant gave inaccurate or misleading information should be disqualified.
Address of the Contest:
The Nutcracker International Television Contest for Young Musicians
Kultura TV Channel
Malaya Nikitskaya Str., 24
123995, Moscow, Russia
Tel: +7(495) 720 19 30
Tel/fax: +7(495) 780 56 80
The names of the contestants, whose documents are received by the Organizing Committee, will be published at the Competition Website on August, 24, 2012.
Section 4. Performance Program
The repertoire which is entirely free choice of contestants should be played by heart. No work should be repeated in subsequent Rounds.
• The program of the I Round shall include two various works: cantilena and virtuoso piece. The performance duration: not less than 5 and not more than 7 minutes.
• During the II Round each contestant shall perform one or more music pieces, the choice being free. Each contestant shall be given a maximum performance time of 7 minutes (but not less than 5 minutes).
• In the III Round each contestant shall be accompanied by the symphony orchestra. The performance shall last not less than 5minutes and a maximum of 7 minutes. The music piece should be composed (or orchestrated) for solo instrument and for symphony (or chamber) orchestra.
Contestants are obliged to perform the music pieces indicated in the application form.
Accepted applicants undertake to provide the scores and orchestra parts of the pieces (showing any possible cuts) to be performed at the III Round. Scores and parts shall arrive at the Organizing Committee at the Competition Opening – November, 1, 2012
Section 5. Jury
The outcome of the Contest shall be decided by the Jury composed of famous musicians – composers, performers and teachers. A separate Jury shall be formed for each category – “Piano”, “Strings”, “Winds and percussions”. The Kultura TV Channel’s representative shall be present in the Jury of each category.
The I and the II Rounds should be conducted separately in each category. The III Round conducted as a concert performance shall be evaluated by the united Jury.
The Jury shall evaluate performances on the base of the following criteria:
• sound quality.
No account shall be taken of age differences.
The Jury reserves the following rights:
• not to award all the prizes;
• share the prizes among the contestants;
• If one of the prizes is not awarded the quantity of other prizes can be increased within the category or this prize can be added to one of the other categories.
The decision of the Jury is final and shall not be subject to challenge or any review.
Section 6. Financial Conditions
Participation in the Contest is free of charge.
The Organizing Committee provides accommodation to each contestant and one accompanying person only for the participation period: from November, 1, 2012 to the next day after the contestant’s elimination (till 12 p.m.).
The travel expenses shall be paid by contestants themselves.
In case of a prior request the Organizing Committee can assist a contestant to book a hotel for additional accompanying persons.
Should the competitor choose to arrive earlier or remain after his/her participation in the Competition is over, accommodation and all other expenses will be his/her own responsibility.
In case of inability to pass to the next Round a contestant can stay in a hotel until the Contest ends at his own expense.
Section 7. Accompanists
Contestants are encouraged to bring their own accompanist at their own expenses. In case of necessity the Organizing Committee shall provide a contestant with accompanist at a prior request.
Section 8. Rehearsals
At a prior request contestants shall be provided with accompanists for two rehearsals and performances in the I and the II Rounds gratis.
Each Finalist shall have two rehearsals with the orchestra.
Section 9. Awards
All contestants shall receive a Diploma for their participation in the I Round as well as DVD with the recording of their performances.
All contestants accepted to the II Round shall receive a Diploma and trophies.
Finalists shall be honored to perform in the III Round the Tchaikovsky Symphony Orchestra at the Tchaikovsky Concert Hall.
All Finalists shall be entitled Prize-winners.
In each category the following prizes shall be awarded:
I Prize – Prize-winner Diploma “Gold Nutcracker”;
II Prize – Prize-winner Diploma “Silver Nutcracker”;
III Prize – Prize-winner Diploma “Bronze Nutcracker”.
The Jury can award the Contest Grand Prize to one of the 9 finalists.
The Prize-winners’ teachers and accompanists shall receive Contest Diplomas.
Kultura TV Channel attracts public, charity and commercial organizations as a partners and sponsors of the Contest, which can award additional prizes.
Section 10. TV programs and broadcastings
Kultura TV Channel covers the Contest process in special series of television programs:
• The Contest Opening Ceremony and Gala Concert – live broadcast;
• The II Round “Piano” category;
• The II Round “Strings” category;
• The II Round “Winds and percussions” category;
• The Final and Contest Award Ceremony – live broadcast.
Section 11. Rights
By taking part in the 13th Nutcracker International Television Contest for Young Musicians a contestant expresses agreement with the terms of the Regulations.
Kultura TV Channel holds the exclusive right to use the contestants’ performances in any form and without any restrictions as to time and territory including the right for separate using of the sound and video.
Kultura TV Channel reserves the exclusive right to dispose of performances in its discretion.